WP 5 Review of decision support tools to diminish pollution of water resources
The aim of this work package (WP) is to review, adapt, demonstrate and evaluate decision-support tools for advice, training and communication in order to inform mitigation and establish common awareness for diffuse pollution of vulnerable drinking water resources among farmers and water suppliers.
WP 5 is coordinated by Wageningen University & Research.
Specific objectives related to the national legislation:
- To review of existing Decision Support Tools used by farmers, farm advisors and water managers in water, nutrient and pesticide management;
- To evaluate a selection of decision support tools and measures in FAIRWAY case study sites at farm, catchment and regional scale;
- To assess costs and benefits of the selected tools for farmers, water companies and society;
- To develop a decision-support framework for advice, training and communication strategies to establish common awareness for diffuse pollution of vulnerable drinking water resources among farmers;
- To develop a phone app to provide guidance on the application, disposal and environmental risks associated with different pesticides in drinking water catchments.
NIVA has been developing a range of tools for agricultural decision-making. Examples of such tools are web-based applications, apps for tablets and smartphones or other technical instruments for supporting farmers’ decisions. Other alternatives are counseling services.