WP 5: Review of decision support tools to diminish pollution of water resources
The aim of this work package (WP) is to review, adapt, demonstrate and evaluate decision-support tools for advice, training and communication in order to inform mitigation and establish common awareness for diffuse pollution of vulnerable drinking water resources among farmers and water suppliers.
WP 5 is coordinated by Wageningen University & Research.
Core work package tasks:
- Review of existing Decision Support Tools used by farmers, farm advisors and water managers in water, nutrient and pesticide management. The tash is lead by ADAS.
- A report har been published: Survey and Review of Decision Supports Tools. L. Jackson Blake from NIVA is co-author.
- Evaluate a selection of decision support tools and measures in FAIRWAY case study sites at farm, catchment and regional scale.
- A report has been published: Evaluation of Decision Support Tools. L. Jackson Blake from NIVA is co-author.
- Assess costs and benefits of the selected tools for farmers, water companies and society.
- Report produced and published. Authors: Berit Hasler (AU), Fiona Nicholson (ADAS), John Williams (ADAS), Rachel Cassidy (AFBI), Linda Tendler (LWK), Peter Lendertsee (CLM), Marije Hoogendoorn (CLM), Rikke Krogshave Laursen (SEGES), Doan Nainngolan (AU), Ingrid Nesheim (NIVA).
- A technical overview of decision-support tools about:
- application fertilizers
- application of pesticides
- framework for advice, training and communication strategies to establish common awareness for diffuse pollution of vulnerable drinking water resources among farmers
- Develop a smartphone app to provide guidance on the application, disposal and environmental risks associated with different pesticides in drinking water catchments.
NIVA has been developing a range of tools for agricultural decision-making. Examples of such tools are web-based applications, apps for tablets and smartphones or other technical instruments for supporting farmers’ decisions. Other alternatives are counseling services.