Foreign aid, development research, EU research programmes, local competence development, institution building, international forums
NIVA is renowned for its high level of competence in environmental management, both nationally and internationally. We participate in EU research programmes, have projects in development research and carry out advisory assignments around the world. We also participate in a number of international forums.
With our competence in aquatic sciences we have contributed to projects in over 70 countries. For instance we have had many projects in China, Sri Lanka, Chile, Venezuela, Ghana, Myanmar and Greece.
International activities at NIVA are organised in four areas:
- EU framework programmes for research
- Participation in international forums
- Projects in development research
- Advisory services
1. EU framework programmes for research
Through our engagement in projects under the framework programmes we take part in the development of knowledge needed to address current societal issues while increasing our competence. In the current framework programme for research and innovation, Horizon 2020, NIVA is partner in 14 projects.
Examples of projects:
FairWay: Farm systems that produce good Water quality for drinking water supplies (2017-2021)
AQUACOSM: Network of Leading European AQUAtic MesoCOSM Facilities Connecting Mountains to Oceans from the Arctic to the Mediterranean (2017-2020)
INTAROS: Integrated Arctic observation systems (2016-2021)
MERCES: Marine Ecosystem Restoration in Changing European Seas (2016-2020)
TAPAS: Tools for Assessment and Planning of Aquaculture Sustainability (2016-2020)
STEMM-CCS: Strategies for Environmental Monitoring of Marine Carbon Capture and Storage (2016-2020)
JERICO-NEXT: Joint European Research Infrastructure network for Coastal Observatory – Novel European eXpertise for coastal observaTories (2015-2019)
AtlantOS: Optimising and Enhancing the Integrated Atlantic Ocean Observing Systems (2015-2019)
Respon-SEA-ble: Sustainable oceans: our collective responsibility, our common interest. Building on real-life knowledge knowledge systems for developing interactive and mutual learning media (2015-2019)
MARS: Managing Aquatic ecosystems and water Resources under multiple Stress (2014-2018)
SEA-ON-A-CHIP: Real time monitoring of SEA contaminants by an autonomous Lab-on-a-chip biosensor (2013-2017)
>> Read more about some of our projects:
2. Participation in international forums
NIVA participates in a number of international forums. This network enables us to build and share our competence with other professional circles and with government agencies, and also generates research and development assignments. NIVA:
- has served for 15 years as an advisor for the European Environment Agency (EEA) through its Topic Center on Water. Among other things, we lead work on freshwater and contribute with our expertise on environmental toxins in marine environments.
- is a Norwegian representative in EurAqua (European Network of Freshwater Research Organisations) and held the chairmanship during the period 2005-2009. Research institutes in 20 European countries cooperate in this network.
- led the UN/ECE's (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe) programme for monitoring long-range transboundary air pollution for 25 years.
- actively participates in ICES (International Council for the Exploration of the Sea) and OSPAR (Protecting and conserving the North-East Atlantic and its resources) which lead efforts in monitoring the marine environment.
- was a member of the Norwegian UNESCO Commission for many years. The commission is an arena for support of research and education in developing countries.
3. Projects in development research
NIVA helps Norwegian authorities implement development aid strategies. We cooperate with authorities in developing nations to establish projects with Norwegian and multilateral funding, for instance the Nordic Development Fund, the Water Fund of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and the World Bank.
NIVA activities include:
- Sharing state-of-the-art environmental management competence with local stakeholders, decision makers and researchers
- Establishing concepts and solutions to meet environmental challenges in collaboration with local researchers
- Building competence that can manage environmental challenges locally and sustainably
Providing advice for adapting to the demands of and following up international environmental conventions and directives
- Contributing to the establishment and development of institutions for local environmental authorities
- Help in establishing monitoring activities and laboratories for analyses
4. Advisory services
NIVA helps the private and public sectors in many countries to solve their environmental challenges and improve environmental supervision, as well as to improve cost-efficiency and productivity related to water. The projects are financed by grants or by the clients themselves. We often collaborate with other Norwegian, international or local professional agencies or institutes.