Hybrid hydro-FPV power plants, HydroSun
Hydrosun aims to develop knowledge enabling efficient design and operation of hydro-FPV HyPPs. More specific objectives include, evaluate the added value of storage and increased forecasting accuracy over the lifetime of HyPPs, combine hydropower scheduling tools with FPV production forecasts for optimal hybrid operation, develop methods that enable lifetime predications of PV modules in FPV systems, and provide unique empirical field data for the environmental effects of FPV and hydro-FPV HyPPs.
HydroSun is a Knowledge-building Project for Industry partly financed by the Green platform initiative of the Research Council of Norway. It consists of a competence component and an industry component. The Comptence component is led by IFE and the industry component is led by Scatec. Research institutions involved include IFE, NIVA and Sintef. Other The project started in 2021 and will end in 2024. see here for more information about the project.
NIVA is in the project responsible for the work package addressing environmental and societal considerations of hydro FPV HYPPS.
The workpackage includes 4 research questions. NIVA is responsible for RQ14-RQ16. SINTEF is responsible for RQ17.
RQ14: How does FPV impact the local environment? Effects of FPV on physical parameters, such as water evaporation, water temperature are measured.
RQ15: What is the impact of FPV HyPPs for socio-economic aspects? Water and land use conflicts and trade-offs, and links between environmental impacts and socio-economic issues are addressed.
RQ16: How can negative impact be mitigated, and co-benefits be enhanced?. Potential co-benefits and means to mitigate the negative impacts identified are explored.
RQ17: Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.. The potential impact of FPV on GHG processes and fluxes, and eventual impacts from changes in hydro operations are investigated by the G-res tool.
- Data collection: including temperature sensors, oxygen, water chemistry and phytoplankton monitoring.
- Process-based modelling of reservoir with and without FPV cover: evaporation, water temperature, oxygen, and phosphorus concentrations.
- Empirical modelling of greenhouse gas emissions
- Key informant interviews and focus group discussions for identification of water users and uses, and associated indicators.
- Workshops with industry partners to discuss actions to reduce adverse impacts and to increase co-benefits.