The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) is Norway’s leading institute for fundamental and applied research on marine and freshwaters. Our research comprises a wide array of environmental, climatic and resource-related fields. NIVA’s world-class expertise is multidisciplinary with a broad scientific scope. We combine research, monitoring, evaluation, problem-solving and advisory services at international, national and local levels.
- Research foundation, environmental research, scientific basis for environmental policy, international research cooperation.
The Managing Director of NIVA is Pål Molander. For further information about NIVA's management, see our organization chart under About the institute.
- Head office in Oslo, four regional branches, marine research station
- The board, nominated by a nomination committee where the Ministry of Climate and Environment and the Research Council of Norway appoint members, also has three employee-elected members.
- Akvaplan-niva, BallastTech-NIVA, NIVA Chile, NIVA-tech, NIVA China
- ISO certified project implementation, ISO accredited laboratories and conformity assessment of laboratories, GLP accreditation
- Research ethics, social responsibility, human rights, working conditions, the environment, sustainable development
- Gender Equality Plan (GEP)
NIVA's ambition and targets for the institute's work to promote gender equality