The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) is Norway’s leading institute for fundamental and applied research on marine and freshwaters. Our research comprises a wide array of environmental, climatic and resource-related fields. NIVA’s world-class expertise is multidisciplinary with a broad scientific scope. We combine research, monitoring, evaluation, problem-solving and advisory services at international, national and local levels.
- Research foundation, environmental research, scientific basis for environmental policy, international research cooperation.
- Head office in Oslo, four regional branches, marine research station
- The board, nominated by a nomination committee where the Ministry of Climate and Environment and the Research Council of Norway appoint members, also has three employee-elected members.
- Akvaplan-niva, BallastTech-NIVA, NIVA Chile, NIVA-tech, NIVA China
- ISO certified project implementation, ISO accredited laboratories and conformity assessment of laboratories, GLP accreditation
- Research ethics, social responsibility, human rights, working conditions, the environment, sustainable development
- Gender Equality Plan (GEP)
NIVA's ambition and targets for the institute's work to promote gender equality